Cambridge Crematorium occupies a peaceful site, with its beautiful gardens, natural woodland, and tranquil water areas, all containing an abundance of wildlife. The Crematorium was opened in 1938 as a private concern before being taken over in 1950 by Cambridge City Council. There are two Chapels at the Crematorium; the East, which was opened in 1938, and the West in 1991.
The East Chapel
Facing the Crematorium entrance and situated between two cloistered areas, is the traditional East Chapel. It retains many of its original features and it can seat approximately 55 people. This Chapel is equipped with a Johannes Organ as well as the Wesley Music System, which allows flexibility of choice for families when arranging the music content of a funeral service. The Wesley system also allows for the services to be audio or visually recorded and a web cast of the service can be arranged if desired. The Chapel has an induction loop system and is on a single level giving easy access for wheelchairs. Adjacent to the Chapel, on one side of the walkway, is a small waiting room for mourners where there is a vending machine available for hot drinks and snacks.
The West Chapel
The completion and dedication of the second, more modern Chapel in November 1991 has extended the service provided by the Crematorium. It provides seating for approximately 190 people. The Chapel has a balcony area for seating as well as the option for outside broadcasts. Local artists were originally commissioned to paint landscape pictures of East Anglia, which hang in the waiting room and Vestry. The Chapel is also embellished with kneelers made by the Cambridge Townswomen’s Guild and by local branches of the Women’s Institute.
The West Chapel has a Norwich Electronic Organ and the Wesley Music System, which allows flexibility of choice for families when arranging the music content of a service. The Wesley system also allows for services to be audio or visually recorded and a web cast of the service can also be arranged if desired. There is is also the choice to personalise the service even further by having a visual tribute with a screen that can show still images or video clips. The West Chapel is equipped with an induction loop system for the hard of hearing. Adjoining the Chapel is a waiting room that overlooks the the tranquil Gardens of Remembrance. There is a vending machine in the waiting room from which hot drinks and snacks are available.